10 Facts About Teak Wood
At AquaTeak, we use only the finest teak wood grown on Indonesian, government-managed plantations and milled by the leading producer of teak wood in the world. Our teak shower benches are second to none.
So why do we use teak?
Simply put, it's amazing wood!
Here are 10 interesting facts about teak wood, just in case you were wondering...
- Teak is the common name for the tropical hardwood tree species, Tectona grandis, which grows to over 130 feet tall.
- Teak is native to south and southeast Asia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Burma.
- Teak wood tends to be a golden or medium brown. Its color darkens over time.
- Teak is known for its incredible durability and water resistance.
- Teak has a high oil content, giving it the highest decay-resistance among all natural wood products.
- Teak is used for boat building, yachts, exterior construction, indoor and outdoor furniture, veneer, carvings, frames, and more.
- Teak doesn't crack, wrap or turn black when in contact with metals.
- Teak is resistant to termites and other pests.
- Teak trees that are older, between 40 and 80 years old, provide the best wood.
- Teak -- before it can be cut into lumber -- must be dried for 1-2 years.
With teak, you can't go wrong! It's the 'gold standard' of wood. Which is why teak is all we use for our beautiful teak shower benches and stools. Shop AquaTeak online and check out our gorgeous line of teak furniture. See why we're the largest manufacturer of teak shower benches in the world!